Classic Car Owners Faced With More Expense When Moving Vehicles Abroad

There will probably be quite a few classic car owners who transport their classic cars overseas. They may be taking their cherished vehicle to another European country across the English Channel to attend a classic car show or they may have sold it to someone overseas and have agreed to transport it to the purchaser.

As a result of Brexit, classic car owners should bear in mind that if they are transporting their classic car either on a trailer or in a lorry to one of many countries overseas they should obtain an ATA Carnet as the vehicle is classed as goods when transported in one of the above two ways. An ATA Carnet is often referred to as  “Passport for Goods” and ATA is made up of a combination of French and English words – Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission.

An ATA Carnet can be used for up to 12 months. The cost for an ATA Carnet is usually £325.96 – a significant sum of money that classic car owners could well do without. Also, a security deposit is payable. You will need to make sure that you check with the country that you want to transport your classic car to as different countries have their own regulations as to what goods you are permitted to transport to another country with the use of an ATA Carnet. You can apply for an ATA Carnet either by post or online.

If you are driving your classic car overseas for say a holiday or to a classic car show you will not need an ATA Carnet.

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, this has on classic car owners taking their vintage cars overseas to shows. It is something that a classic car owner no doubt really looks forward to as they can combine their love for showing off their classic vehicle with enjoying a few days abroad on holiday.


Next and Previous Posts: